- I love cheese! All cheese but lately Ive been doing a lot with the tangy goat cheese. But have you noticed prices have been skyrocketing in the grocery isles? My little goat cheese had doubled in price to a-soaring $8 for a few ounces. Wow… have I found a solution. Fresh homemade goat cheese! Honest it was so simple and easy and the flavor is divine. Cool- fresh- creamy. Ill never go back. Here is my easy step by step.
- Cheese cloth
- Good cooking thermometer
- Cooking twine
- 1 quart whole goat milk pasteurized
- Juice of 4 lemons (1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dried herbs of choice
- ( I used lemon zest, paprika, dried herb de province, black pepper)
Sauce pan bring goat milk med heat to 185 degrees – heat slowly and stir often
While milk heats juice 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
Once milk hits 185 take off heat and stir in lemon juice the two tablespoons vinegar. Stir in completely.
Allow to rest off heat for 30 minutes. Carefully mix in 1/2 tsp salt.
Line a colander with two or three layers cheese cloth.
Carefully ladle in milky cheese into colander to not run over edges of cloth. Cheese will slowly seperate and whey water will run off bottom clear.
Allow to drain for ten minutes. Carefully tie into a ball and hand on sink faucet the drain 1 hour.
Prepare herbs to role the cheese in. My lemons were so floral and fresh I did lemon zest, parika, herb de province , pepper and garlic powder.
Unwrap and gently form into a log. Then roll into the herb mixture.
Wrap into plastic to set. Will keep refrigerated two weeks.