Growing up I thought I was the richest kid on earth with the meals Momma would whip up. We never had the fancy cereals or cookies posted on TV. She did everything from scratch… even when the options got slim. She could whip up a feast.
She always called this end of month soup or poor man soup. I called it delicious comfort!
- Three stalks celery chopped
- 1 med yellow onion chopped
- Four cups pealed and large chopped potatoes(baby new potatoes you can leave on the skin)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 5 cups water
- Bullion ( better than bouillon base) 3 Tbs
- Two Tbs parsley
- S and P to taste
- 2 Tbs heaping flour in 1 cup milk / cornstarch
Stock soup pot- Sauté celery, onion in olive oil until limp. Add potatoes , water, broth parsley and bring back to low boil til potatoes stick tender. About 20 minutes.
Mix flour and milk in separate bowl until blended- add two tablespoons broth to bring closer to soup temp. Add all to soup. Ring back to a low simmer until thickened.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with cheddar cheese, bacon bits, chopped chives or sourcream. What you have available.
If we were lucky – mom would drop dumplings on top asa treat!
Add some homemade bread.