Im trying, probably like most, to eat healthier these days. Smaller portions, more vegetables and lower fat. I love the new rice made from cauliflower and this simple chowder is hearty, healthy and satisfying. Using our friend cauliflower for the star of the party.
Easily made Vegan (suggestions added) my shown recipe includes bacon, chicken-broth and 1 %milk.
- Small cauliflower stemmed and florets chopped
- Small sweet onion chopped
- Stalk of celery chopped
- Med carrot cleaned and chopped
- 1 small bag frozen sweet corn
- 2 slices of bacon chopped (sub olive oil) V
- 6 cups broth
- Tsp better than bouillon chicken (V sub vegetable flavor)
- 2 cups milk or coconut milk V
- 2 T flour or 4 cornstarch V
- Bay leaf
- White pepper to taste
Cook bacon til partial done add vegetables less corn.
Cook until onion and vegetables just start brown. Stay close so they dont burn.
Add broth and bullion and simmer 10 min til soft.
Carefully with hand mixer or blender blend the veggies to desired texture. I like mine at a choppy texture larger than rice.
Return to pan-add corn and bay leaf bringing back to gentle simmer. Heat thru-
Sprinkle flour across top and mix in. If using cornstarch mix first with 1-4 cup water or broth and add.
Add milk( or coconut milk) and simmer to desired thickness.
Serve with garnish of parsley and croutons.
Hearty soup that is creamy, filling and satisfying.